The Nepalese Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ten Most Harmful Books

+2
blazeofglory
eveningpolestar
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Ten Most Harmful Books Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:53 am

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Humanevents.com a leading site for conservative movement has come up with a list of ten most hamrful books of 19th and 20th century. And obviously, Communist Manifesto is at the top.
HUMAN EVENTS asked a panel of 15 conservative scholars and public policy leaders to help us compile a list of the Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Each panelist nominated a number of titles and then voted on a ballot including all books nominated. A title received a score of 10 points for being listed No. 1 by one of our panelists, 9 points for being listed No. 2, etc. Appropriately, The Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, earned the highest aggregate score and the No. 1 listing.

Here's the list:

1. The Communist Manifesto
Authors: Karl Marx and Freidrich Engels
Publication date: 1848

2. Mein Kampf
Author: Adolf Hitler
Publication date: 1925-26

3. Quotations from Chairman Mao
Author: Mao Zedong
Publication date: 1966

4. The Kinsey Report
Author: Alfred Kinsey
Publication date: 1948

5. Democracy and Education
Author: John Dewey
Publication date: 1916

6. Das Kapital
Author: Karl Marx
Publication date: 1867-1894

7. The Feminine Mystique
Author: Betty Friedan
Publication date: 1963

8. The Course of Positive Philosophy
Author: Auguste Comte
Publication date: 1830-1842

9. Beyond Good and Evil
Author: Freidrich Nietzsche
Publication date: 1886

10. General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money
Author: John Maynard Keynes
Publication date: 1936

Source:http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

Please share your views....

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

2Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:55 am

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

In my case, i say the hell with them...I am going to read all of them...

3Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:25 pm

blazeofglory

blazeofglory
Active Debator
Active Debator

1. The Communist Manifesto
Authors: Karl Marx and Freidrich Engels

A short book. And a MUST READ.... I never completed it actually though it is not more than 25 to 40 pages. Just love the language and how it incites... though Communism for me is like a brainwashing religion.

2. Mein Kampf
Author: Adolf Hitler

Lets see if I ever read it. Maybe I will if I get nothing better to read.

3. Quotations from Chairman Mao
Author: Mao Zedong

Its also called the RED book or something. Anyway... his most famed quote is undeniably "SERVE THE PEOPLE"

4. The Kinsey Report
Author: Alfred Kinsey

Why's this on the list... I dunno. Will research a bit,

5. Democracy and Education
Author: John Dewey

I have not even heard about it but I feel its against the US! Let me check this one later on.

6. Das Kapital
Author: Karl Marx

Another book by Marx. A HUGE HUGE book explaining why Communism and Why not Capitalism. I am neutral! Read it if you are interested in Leftist politics and economics.

7. The Feminine Mystique
Author: Betty Friedan

I can guess it by the name. But again, Don't Judge a book by its cover, I have heard hehe.

8. The Course of Positive Philosophy
Author: Auguste Comte

Hmmm again another research-to-do.

9. Beyond Good and Evil
Author: Freidrich Nietzsche

When its Neitzsche .. one can always guess how revolutionary it must be.../ one of the best intellectuals in the world (a very profound atheist... known for his "GOD IS DEAD. NOW MAN WILL TAKE HIS FORM")
PLEASE READ IT (but i havent read this book)

10. General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money
Author: John Maynard Keynes

An Economist ... this Keynes.. but I dunno about the book.

4Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Mon May 19, 2008 4:54 am

deepesh

General Debator
General Debator

i dont know why any of the books is on the list except for mein kampf and Freidrich Nietzsche. havent heared of most of them. but since the communist manifesto is said to be more harmful than the Nazi handbook i think its just capitalist propoganda. i think u have been affected the propoganda too Blaze.. coz communism isnt just a brainwashing religion. Its quite a magnificent ideology. but the world leader just has failed to properly install it.
anyways, u never did post the results of your research. i hope u do. would luv to read it

5Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Gargi

The despicable categorization of the books they(Humanevents.com) list as "harmful" to me flaunts a disgusting conservative bias against radicalism. All these books (I emphasize all) have recognized the freedom of expression and the voise of the supressed.
A lot of us feminists are grateful to Friedan for her book, if it wasn't for her perhaps we wouldn't have come this far with issues of women's liberation.
Auguste Comte's book I see as his recognition of the power of the "marginalized" humanities. His famous quote, "sociology shall become the queen of all sciences" is capable of creating passion for the social sciences in individuals. Its a must read if you take social inquiry as a serious academic discipline.
those two I feel seriously for. The others I have heard of and come across in the course of my study... Dewey's arguments came in the sociology of education where he says education liberates individuals, Keynes in economics with his frustration with the depression ... the others most people know about ....
I hope I will not be considered as an intruder... its just that I found the topic interesting

6Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:37 pm

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Gargi wrote:The despicable categorization of the books they(Humanevents.com) list as "harmful" to me flaunts a disgusting conservative bias against radicalism. All these books (I emphasize all) have recognized the freedom of expression and the voise of the supressed.
A lot of us feminists are grateful to Friedan for her book, if it wasn't for her perhaps we wouldn't have come this far with issues of women's liberation.
Auguste Comte's book I see as his recognition of the power of the "marginalized" humanities. His famous quote, "sociology shall become the queen of all sciences" is capable of creating passion for the social sciences in individuals. Its a must read if you take social inquiry as a serious academic discipline.
those two I feel seriously for. The others I have heard of and come across in the course of my study... Dewey's arguments came in the sociology of education where he says education liberates individuals, Keynes in economics with his frustration with the depression ... the others most people know about ....
I hope I will not be considered as an intruder... its just that I found the topic interesting

Hey Gargi welcome to the forum! I don't see any reasons to consider you an intruder...thank you so much for posting this insightful reply instead! I haven't read any of the books...You seem to be a great reader to know about these books!

7Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 am

blazeofglory

blazeofglory
Active Debator
Active Debator

Neither do I. I too bet Gargi reads a lot of books. Nice to have you here. Smile And do keep coming back. I wish would would initiate a post about Feminism, be it activism, philosophy or a mish-mash of both.

8Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:33 pm

ariee

General Debator
General Debator

Gargi wrote:The despicable categorization of the books they(Humanevents.com) list as "harmful" to me flaunts a disgusting conservative bias against radicalism. All these books (I emphasize all) have recognized the freedom of expression and the voise of the supressed.

hey gargi... u really seem to read a lot of books. i have heard about feminine mystique but i haven't read it so far but i will now......

9Ten Most Harmful Books Empty Re: Ten Most Harmful Books Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Razor Blade

Razor Blade
Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator

No book is harmful in my view. Every book has shortcomings and misled theories which have to be filtered though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum