The Nepalese Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!) 200px-The_God_Delusion_UK

The God Delusion is a non-fiction book by British ethologist and atheist Richard Dawkins, Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University.

In the book, Dawkins argues that religious faith qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion."

The God Delusion was ranked #2 on the Amazon.com bestsellers' list in November 2006. In early December 2006, it reached number #4 in the New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Best Seller list after nine weeks on the list. As of February 14, 2007, it is listed at #8, after 20 weeks on the list.
Download code:

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!) 180px-The_End_of_Faith

The End of Faith opens with a literary account of a day in the life of a suicide bomber – his last day. In an introductory chapter, Harris calls for an end to respect and tolerance for the competing belief systems of religion, which he describes as being "all equally uncontaminated by evidence." While focusing on the dangers posed by religious groups now armed with the latest technology, Harris is equally critical of religious moderation, which he describes as "the context in which religious violence can never be adequately opposed."

Harris continues by examining the nature of belief itself, challenging the notion that we can in any sense enjoy freedom of belief – for as he points out, "belief is a fount of action in potentia." Instead he posits that in order to be useful, beliefs must be both logically coherent, and truly representative of the real world. Insofar as religious belief fails to ground itself in empirical evidence, Harris likens religion to a form of mental illness which, he says, "allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy."

Harris follows this with a brief survey of Christianity down the ages, taking in the Inquisition and the historic persecution of witches and Jews. He contends that, far from being an aberration, the torture of heretics was simply a logical expression of Christian doctrine – one which, he says, was clearly justified by men such as Saint Augustine. Going still further, Harris sees the Holocaust as essentially drawing its inspiration from traditional Christian anti-Semitism. "Knowingly or not," he says, "the Nazis were agents of religion."

Download Code:

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!) 180px-Letter_to_a_Christian_Nation
Letter to a Christian Nation is a non-fiction book by Sam Harris, written in response to feedback he received following the publication of his first book The End of Faith. The book, a slim volume, is written in the form of an open letter to a Christian. Harris states that his aim is "to demolish the intellectual and moral pretensions of Christianity in its most committed forms." The book was released in September 2006. In October it entered the New York Times Best Seller list at number seven.

Download Code:

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!) Michel10

"In this era of warring religions, with Almighty God being invoked as the key ally by all sides, it was with gratitude and relief that I read Michel Onfray's In Defense of Atheism. It is both a passionate and coolly reasoned advocacy of atheism, setting the positive values of secularity squarely against the three great monotheisms and their multitudes of hate... A wonderful, invigorating blast of sanity delivered against the fog of high-toned mumbo-jumbo we have to endure everywhere today." William Boyd

"His book has a sweep, an energy and intensity, that seems all but forgotten on either side of the Atlantic; for this reason alone it deserves to be translated." Bookforum

Religion: history of destruction. Torture and pain in the name of God since the beginning of the civilization. It is ironic that this power of hate still influences the whole world isn't it?

Atheist Manifesto or In Defense of Atheism is a controversial work against three dominant monotheistic religions Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. It demonstrates how these religions prevented reaching the knowledge, destroyed the reason for their purposes and controlled the mass like a flock.

Atheist Manifesto is bold, not for faint-hearted! But if you want to witness the dark and bloody past of religions, dare to read it!

Download Code:

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Books for and Against God (Collection!!!) God_th10

"Darwin chased God out of his old haunts in biology, and he scurried for safety down the rabbit hole of physics. The laws and constants of the universe, we were told, are too good to be true: a setup, carefully tuned to allow the eventual evolution of life. It needed a good physicist to show us the fallacy, and Victor Stenger lucidly does so. The faithful won't change their minds, of course (that is what faith means), but Victor Stenger drives a pack of energetic ferrets down the last major bolt hole and God is running out of refuges in which to hide. I learned an enormous amount from this splendid book."
Richard Dawkins
Author of the New York Times bestseller The God Delusion

"Marshalling converging arguments from physics, astronomy, biology, and philosophy, Stenger has delivered a masterful blow in defense of reason. God: The Failed Hypothesis is a potent, readable, and well-timed assault upon religious delusion. It should be widely read."
Sam Harris
Author of the New York Times bestsellers The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation

"Extremely tough and impressive...a great book...a huge addition to the arsenal of argument."
Christopher Hitchens
Author of the New York Times best seller God Is Not Great

Many people claims that modern science supports the proposition that God exists, but very few authors have directly challenged this assertion. Physicist Victor J. Stenger points out that if scientific arguments for the existence of God are included in intellectual, not to mention political discourse, then arguments against his existence should also be considered.

In God: The Failed Hypothesis, Stenger discusses that science has advanced sufficiently to make a definitive statement on the existence or nonexistence of the traditional Judeo-Christian-Islamic God.

He puts your minds in a test of scientific method to prove this claim.

Code:

kshitiz

General Debator
General Debator

the most phenomenal text against god is whole thervad buddhism text.....am i right?

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

kshitiz wrote:the most phenomenal text against god is whole thervad buddhism text.....am i right?
don;t know ..haven't read them!

kshitiz

General Debator
General Debator

why dont you try some of them? there are many on net, i read some of them through the net most of them are free to download.........but please dont take me as buddhist missionary.....no one can deny what buddha said, when i read some modern book on psychology and psychiatry i get the vibe of thervaad buddhism, the way shakya muni has analysed the mind is like the scientist of the today's world, he breaks he sees the broken fragments he integrates and see the whole and he extrapolates.....the maroon robed phenomenal genius who found himself under the bodhi tree, and found the phenomenal teaching against god, if god is someone who is greater than greatest than he is the one, even the god cant deny him....he is the atheist embraced by god.

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

kshitiz wrote:why dont you try some of them? there are many on net, i read some of them through the net most of them are free to download.........but please dont take me as buddhist missionary.....no one can deny what buddha said, when i read some modern book on psychology and psychiatry i get the vibe of thervaad buddhism, the way shakya muni has analysed the mind is like the scientist of the today's world, he breaks he sees the broken fragments he integrates and see the whole and he extrapolates.....the maroon robed phenomenal genius who found himself under the bodhi tree, and found the phenomenal teaching against god, if god is someone who is greater than greatest than he is the one, even the god cant deny him....he is the atheist embraced by god.

thanks! i will read some as soon as i get some time...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum