The Nepalese Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jha becomes Nepal's first vice president!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jha becomes Nepal's first vice president! Empty Jha becomes Nepal's first vice president! Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 am

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Jha becomes Nepal's first vice president; re-polling for president as no candidate reaches 298 mark

Paramananda
Jha has become Nepal's first vice president, winning the election held
today. He was a Madhesi Janadhikar Forum (MJF) candidate.
According
to an official at the Secretariat of the Constituent Assembly, Jha
bagged 305 votes, beating his nearest rival Shanta Shrestha of CPN
(Maoist).
However, two presidential frontrunners -
Dr Ram Baran Yadav of Nepali Congress and Maoist-backed candidate Ram
Raja Prasad Singh - failed to gain 298 votes needed to be elected to
the post. According to state-owned Radio Nepal, Yadav bagged 294 votes
while Singh ended up with 282 votes.
With no presidential candidate mustering majority votes, there will be re-election for the president.
Sources said 25 votes for president and 24 votes for vice president were cancelled.
The results of the presidential election are to be announced in the CA shortly.
578 out of 594 CA members registered in the voter list had cast their votes.
Five
fringe parties including Nepal Workers and Peasants Party, Rastriya
Prajatantra Party (Nepal), Rastriya Janamorcha and CPN (Unified)
boycotted the voting.

Source:Nepalnews.com

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

Razor Blade

Razor Blade
Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator

i think the data was misled
What I have heard is Yadav had obtained 308 votes while singh was true in your case
talking about the result though I was not that satisfied
and believe that the three parties were able to boycott maoist even in running the government
if a single post matters a lot then what would these political parties do to earn some of the ministrys

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Razor Blade wrote:i think the data was misled
What I have heard is Yadav had obtained 308 votes while singh was true in your case
talking about the result though I was not that satisfied
and believe that the three parties were able to boycott maoist even in running the government
if a single post matters a lot then what would these political parties do to earn some of the ministrys

well the news was about the first election..

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

UPDATE:
KATMANDU, Nepal - Nepal's governing assembly on Monday elected the new republic's first president since it abolished the centuries-old monarchy in May, state-run television said.

Nepal Television said Constituent Assembly members elected Ram Baran Yadav, a physician from the Madheshi ethnic community in southern Nepal, which has been campaigning for greater rights and more say in the administration.

State-run television said an official announcement was expected later in the evening by assembly chairman Kul Bahadur Gurung. Yadav, of the Nepali Congress party, received more than half the votes in the 594-seat assembly that was required to win.

Yadav had the backing of his party, the Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist-Leninist) and Madhesi People's Rights Forum — the second, third and fourth largest parties.

Yadav has served twice as the health ministry and elected twice in parliament elections. He has held senior positions in his Nepali Congress party.

Yadav had secured the most votes in initial voting for president on Saturday, but voting went to a second round because none of the three candidates were able to secure the required majority.

His closest opponent, Ramraja Singh, was backed by the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist), former communist rebels who have emerged as the largest political party in Nepal.

The Maoists won the most seats in the Constituent Assembly in April elections. Since the dissolution of the monarchy, the assembly has been unable to form a new government because the main parties have bickered over forming a ruling coalition.

The president will swear in the new prime minister, who will run the executive branch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum