The Nepalese Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban president!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban president! Empty Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban president! Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 pm

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Fidel Castro, the Cuban president who seized power in a 1959 revolution, has stated in a quote in Cuba's state-run newspaper Granma that when the National Assembly of Cuba meets on February 24 he "will not aspire to or accept... the positions of President of Council of State and Commander in Chief."

81-year-old Castro handed over control to his 76-year-old brother Raúl when he underwent surgery in July 2006. "It would betray my conscience to take up a responsibility that requires mobility and total devotion, that I am not in a physical condition to offer," Castro explained.

United States President George W. Bush said, "I believe that the change from Fidel Castro ought to begin a period of democratic transition." Although, John Negroponte, Deputy Secretary of State, said that this does not mean that the 1962 trade embargo will be lifted "any time soon."

European Union said that it hopes to improve relations with Cuba, which were almost at a standstill under Castro. Spokesperson John Clancy said the EU is willing to engage with Cuba in constructive dialogue to foster a peaceful transition to pluralistic democracy in Cuba.

China said it will maintain its current cooperation with Cuba and termed Fidel Castro an old friend. A spokesperson for the foreign ministry of Vietnam similarly praised Castro as a great friend and comrade.

BBC reports that Raúl Castro is seen by analysts as the likely choice as successor by the National Assembly, though some see 56-year-old Carlos Lage Dávila as potential candidate. Lage is currently Vice-President and Executive Secretary of the Council of Ministers.

The decision is scheduled for February 24, 2008.

Source:Wikinews

What's your opinion on this happenings ??
Castro has always been in the limelight of controversy..He is among the few leaders in history who have been able to poke eyes of the world's superpower...and he did it more effectively than any other leaders...What do you think was castro a good leader or a tyrant??

Last edited by eveningpolestar on Mon May 19, 2008 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

deepesh

General Debator
General Debator

i dont know much abt cuba's history but from what little i know i dont think you can call castro a dictator. just because he is a communist and has reamined in power for so long doesnot make him a dictator.
the social reforms provided by the cuban government can even rival the US. the only reason it hasnt been able to do more is the trade embargo and the US policy towards it. I think he is a great leader and anything esle is just capitalist propaganda.

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

well, no doubt Fidel Castro is a hero...these capitalist propagandas are so ubiquitous that they easily brainwash even the smart ones

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

Razor Blade

Razor Blade
Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator

strongly aggreeing on deepesh's point of view I myself as well call him the greatest leader of all time. He has stood as a great reformer as well as the great analyst of International affairs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum