The Nepalese Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hire and Fire policy for government and public sevants?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

eveningpolestar

eveningpolestar
Professional Debator
Professional Debator

Hire and Fire policy for government and public sevants? Nijama10

Though we call them public servants, government employees and public servants act as if they are our masters. Almost for every task they expect some bribe from you? Everyone has a hard time persuading them to do any jobs they are supposed do. I think its because their performance has no link with their job...as they are permanent...you cannot hire or fire any government employee for not performing their jobs well...i think permanency of their jobs is one of the culprit...what do you think? Should we adopt hire and fire policy in government offices and for public servants? Does job security breeds corruption and bad performance or is it the other way round?

सरकारी तथा निजामती कर्मचारी लाई भन्न त हामी जनता को सेवक भन्छौ तर उनीहरु हाम्रा मलिक सरह व्यबहार गर्छन । प्रत्येक काममा घुश को अपेक्षा गर्छन । सानो तिनो काम लगाउन पनि सबैले ठुलो मुस्किल को समान गर्नु पर्छ । मेरो बिचारमा यो सबै सरकारी जागिर स्थाई हुने भएका ले हो । सरकारी कर्मचारी को काम गराइ र जागिर तिक्नु नतिक्नु सँग कुनै सम्बन्ध नहुनले तेसो भएको हो । के सरकारी जागिर लाई पनि नीजी क्षेत्र म जस्तो हायेर एन्ड फायेर निति लगौनु पर्ला ? के जागिर सुरक्षा ले भ्रस्टचार र अल्छिपन बढाउछ ? की यस्का पछाडि अन्य नै कारण हरु छन्? हायेर एन्ड फायेर निति ठीक हो की बेथिक हो ?

Last edited by eveningpolestar on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

ashal

what would be the situation of burocracy and all those politically non aligned civil servants if it would be made temporary. who would sit for such a tough exam taken by public service commission to enter in government services? after allpolitically it would be such a mess, hiring and firing not on the bsis of efficiecny but purely would be politically influenced and just imagine a situation........it would be merely on the mercy of politicians and would encourage even more unfair politics in the country...

totally not. i dont agree with this idea that permanency is a culprit behind motivated work performance. to relate permanency with the inefficiecy working system is simply so naive and superficial argument for me.
government offices are not exceptions to this permanency. this appliest to UN and many other international and broad organizations, as well but why tis so efficient and so professional? i wonder we want so much from government staffs in such a low salary they are paid. we are so bothered about the bribes they take, when their earnings dont even suffice for a minimal standard life. corruption, i would rather argue has been a compulsion more than choice. i staunchly believe these all maladies will get brushed of
will get brushed off at a blow if their salary is increased, if constant cross checks with strictly enforced rewards and punishments, with the propitious working environment like in any other you call it privatre organizations.
we can always regulate their efficiency via any other systems like temporary expelling, deraling their promotion and as such as we have in civil service act, 2050 b.s. all we need is earnest implementation and de-politicization of burocracy. it should purely be the game of intellectuals as [ublic service commission has endeavoured for.

Saurav

Saurav
Active Debator
Active Debator

ashal wrote:what would be the situation of burocracy and all those politically non aligned civil servants if it would be made temporary. who would sit for such a tough exam taken by public service commission to enter in government services? after allpolitically it would be such a mess, hiring and firing not on the bsis of efficiecny but purely would be politically influenced and just imagine a situation........it would be merely on the mercy of politicians and would encourage even more unfair politics in the country...

totally not. i dont agree with this idea that permanency is a culprit behind motivated work performance. to relate permanency with the inefficiecy working system is simply so naive and superficial argument for me.
government offices are not exceptions to this permanency. this appliest to UN and many other international and broad organizations, as well but why tis so efficient and so professional? i wonder we want so much from government staffs in such a low salary they are paid. we are so bothered about the bribes they take, when their earnings dont even suffice for a minimal standard life. corruption, i would rather argue has been a compulsion more than choice. i staunchly believe these all maladies will get brushed of
will get brushed off at a blow if their salary is increased, if constant cross checks with strictly enforced rewards and punishments, with the propitious working environment like in any other you call it privatre organizations.
we can always regulate their efficiency via any other systems like temporary expelling, deraling their promotion and as such as we have in civil service act, 2050 b.s. all we need is earnest implementation and de-politicization of burocracy. it should purely be the game of intellectuals as [ublic service commission has endeavoured for.

I agree to your first idea, that if there is hire and fire system then political interfere will increase, But I think that the political interfere should be controlled, and there should be hire and fire system. I think if all the workers are permanent, what to do with inefficient workers ???? . If government keep on putting inefficient workers then who is accountable for the efficiency of the government office???
I can understand the problem of government officers that they have very low paid job, but I wander why people give such a difficult exam and go for such a low paid job?? If the job was mandatory I would have gone against hire and fire system but the job is voluntary. I also think there is always a choice to give up the job if not satisfied, so to increase the efficiency of government office or the whole government I think hire and fire is a good idea and I again say, the political interference should be controlled.

kusu

Instead of opting for the hire and fire policy, it would be better to explore into the reasons why the civil servants are indulged in corruption and procrastination. Are they really living with an income level which is not enough to earn their living? Is the motivation factor lacking? if these questions are examined carefully.
Thus, bureaucratic reforms can definitely assist in reducing the rampant corruption prevalent in the civil service. Likewise, discouraging nepotism and favoritism are of equal signifance. thus, hire and fire policy is not good.

Saurav

Saurav
Active Debator
Active Debator

kusu wrote:Instead of opting for the hire and fire policy, it would be better to explore into the reasons why the civil servants are indulged in corruption and procrastination. Are they really living with an income level which is not enough to earn their living? Is the motivation factor lacking? if these questions are examined carefully.
Thus, bureaucratic reforms can definitely assist in reducing the rampant corruption prevalent in the civil service. Likewise, discouraging nepotism and favoritism are of equal signifance. thus, hire and fire policy is not good.

Yes, I agree that income level of the government office is low but as I already mentioned, government job is not a mandatory job, its a voluntary, so, if the staffs is not satisfied with an income level he can always leave the office and join another one like in private offices. I think the main cause behind the increasing corruption is "lack of rule of law".

And I am not supporting hire and fire system only for the case of corruption. I think this system is required to increase the efficiency of the government as well. If I am sure that I will not get fired even I do less work than I surely not gonna do my work with full esprit, and I also think that there should be incentive system, if any staffs do more work, he should be given more money than the other one.

Razor Blade

Razor Blade
Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator

First of all we have to figure out what is the root of all the problem.
case 1: Hiring and firing is being done on the voluntary basis.
case 2: The main reason to adapt this case is to infiltrate own supporters in the bureaucracy. Which however has been a practice from long long time.
case 3: Prevalance of political ideologies in the bureaucracy system.

Let's stop political infiltration. Cases solved.

Saurav

Saurav
Active Debator
Active Debator

Razor Blade wrote:First of all we have to figure out what is the root of all the problem.
case 1: Hiring and firing is being done on the voluntary basis.
case 2: The main reason to adapt this case is to infiltrate own supporters in the bureaucracy. Which however has been a practice from long long time.
case 3: Prevalance of political ideologies in the bureaucracy system.

Let's stop political infiltration. Cases solved.

I don't think only stopping political intervention will solve all the problem, because if people are not fired despite of doing wrong things, i think people will not work in full efficiency. So, If you want your staff to do work most efficiently, there should be hiring and firing policy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum