A Nepali debate forum for the young and critical minds ...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal??

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Mon May 18, 2009 5:30 pm

eveningpolestar

Professional Debator
Professional Debator
Here is an interesting article about Marijuana and its legalization in various countries....

5 Countries Where Marijuana is Legal (Almost!)

Marijuana users have always sought legal loopholes in countries
where it is illegal to own or smoke it. Many people choose to
buy marijuana seeds (which is legal in many places), then grow
and smoke their own (which is not!) But every marijuana smoker
has probably dreamed at one point or another of living in a
country where marijuana is legal – or at least where the "rules"
concerning possession are so lax that it is effectively legal.

Most people know about Holland's famously relaxed laws
regarding marijuana (which is why it doesn't feature on the list
below!) While no other country has achieved such high profile
recognition for making marijuana legal, a number of places
around the world have quietly relaxed their laws concerning
possession for personal use. In most of these countries,
possession still remains technically illegal, but penalties are
not enforced if you are within certain guidelines – this is
known as decriminalisation.

So, if living in a country where marijuana possession isn't
punished by the law sounds like heaven, here are five places you
should consider emigrating!

Argentina

After a recent court debate about whether or not to punish
those who buy and grow marijuana, Argentina has effectively made
marijuana legal if it is in small quantities for personal use. A
leading judge in Argentina even decided that it was
"unconstitutional" to legislate against marijuana possession!
Those who buy marijuana seeds and grow their own are also
leniently treated, so long as they are growing a small number of
plants. The country is also notably supportive of several
medical marijuana programs.

Australia

Before you go booking a one way ticket to Sydney, make sure you
do your research. Different regions have different rules, but
Western Australia, Southern Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and
Queensland have all decriminalised marijuana to a certain
degree. In Tasmania, Victoria and Queensland, police have taken
to "ticketing" those caught with less than 50 grams of marijuana
rather than arresting them, and Western and Southern Australia
have instituted on the spot fines for minor possession rather
than official warnings or arrests.

Belgium

Since 2003, the Belgian government has made the possession and
use of marijuana legal under the following conditions:

•The amount possessed is 5 grams or less
•You are over 18
•You do not smoke in the presence of minors
•You do not smoke in public

You can buy marijuana seeds and grow them in Belgium without
penalty – however, you are only allowed to own one female plant.
The purchase and sale of marijuana is still illegal, but most
Belgians simply get their marijuana in Holland.

Colombia

Colombia, has had relaxed laws concerning drug possession for
over ten years. Possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana,
one gram of cocaine and one gram of heroin is not considered to
be illegal, although things may change – recent conservative
governments have considered repealing this law to combat
Colombia's drug culture.

Nepal

Unlike the other countries on this list, Nepal doesn't have an
actual decriminalisation policy towards marijuana – it's rather
that the laws they have are hardly ever enforced! Marijuana used
to be legal in Nepal, making it a hippy Mecca in the 1960's and
early 70's. It has been illegal since 1973 – not that you'd
notice. Marijuana is widely available and used, especially by
Nepalese holy men. Note that smuggling and growing are punished,
but possession and personal use rarely are – if the police catch
you smoking they will stop you, but only to collect a small
bribe!

About The Author: Robert Kane is the web editor of Sensible
Seeds, (http://www.sensibleseeds.com) where you can buy
marijuana seeds and informational books online. The website
sells its products to customers all over the world.

Source:http://mpelembe.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2009/5/5/4175791.html

So What do you think should Marijuana ( Gaanja) be legalized in Nepal when it is almost legal and so many people are using it? If not what are the reasons that Gaanja shouldn't be legalized in Nepal?

Please share your views!!!

"Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.” - Hubert Humphrey
View user profile http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

2 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 am

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
The article above shows mariwana is almost legal in Nepal. So, if the government made it formally legal then we could earn money by its plantation and tourism will increase to a large scale.

If we can buy licker easily in market, than why not mariwana??

View user profile

3 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
How many of your friend smokes marijuana???
Less than 25%.. Between (25-50)%.. Between (50-75)%.. More than 75%

Click Here and Vote:
http://itsmesaurav.blogspot.com/

View user profile

4 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Razor Blade

Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator
It should be banned. But special areas can be opened for smoking it for tourist if we need boom in tourists' number. Apart from that it is the step towards greater addiction for us. How is that?

View user profile

5 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
Razor Blade wrote:It should be banned. But special areas can be opened for smoking it for tourist if we need boom in tourists' number. Apart from that it is the step towards greater addiction for us. How is that?

"Special areas" is a very good idea. But we are not talking only about smoking but its plantation, trading and related things. So what do you think about trading and plantation.

View user profile

6 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:56 am

nikhilesh

IT IS WIDELY NOTED THAT TO STOP SOMETHING BANNING IT IS NOT SO JOLLY OF AN IDEA. INSTEAD OPENNESS COULD BE A RADICAL NEW APPROACH . THOUGH CONTROVERSIAL ...... WAIT MAKE IT VERY CONTROVERSIAL affraid I SAY LEGALIZE THE PLANTAION AND/OR THE USE OF THIS THING. IF DOESNOT WORK WE CAN ALWAYS BAN IT No

View user profile

7 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
Yes I think Nepal was better on addictness of drugs while marijuwana was legal in Nepal. When former King Birendra banned Marijuana, Brown sugar and opium user increased to large scale. SO, In nepal history shows it is good to make marijuwana legal.

View user profile

8 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:50 am

blazeofglory

Active Debator
Active Debator
well.. about the Holland thing, I came to know about it while watching the movie Pulp Fiction...I thought it was only a joke but I realize its true and here's the funny quote out of the movie.

Vincent: It breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.
Jules: [laughing] I'm going, that's all there is to it, I'm fuckin' going.

And...about marijuana being legalized in Nepal...yes there's a point to it. Well... the fact is,..whether its legalized or not....these things find their way into the market by any means ... and it further leads to unwanted things like smuggling and the police's involvement in it. The best thing to do would be to legalize it and highly tax it! This way there would be no...black market thing. And,, people would resort to taxing it because the price really matters less for addicts!
Thats my way of puting it.

View user profile

9 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
blazeofglory wrote:well.. about the Holland thing, I came to know about it while watching the movie Pulp Fiction...I thought it was only a joke but I realize its true and here's the funny quote out of the movie.

Vincent: It breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.
Jules: [laughing] I'm going, that's all there is to it, I'm fuckin' going.

And...about marijuana being legalized in Nepal...yes there's a point to it. Well... the fact is,..whether its legalized or not....these things find their way into the market by any means ... and it further leads to unwanted things like smuggling and the police's involvement in it. The best thing to do would be to legalize it and highly tax it! This way there would be no...black market thing. And,, people would resort to taxing it because the price really matters less for addicts!
Thats my way of puting it.

I am always confused- taxing heavy and people will buy it anyhow, it has been practical in case of cigarette and alcohol but in case of marijuana, if the price increases then there might be a chance that people will shift to other heavy drugs like brown sugar and other tabs. So, will it be a good idea about taking heavy tax??

View user profile

10 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 am

blazeofglory

Active Debator
Active Debator
@saurav... why not tax all the drugs heavily and maybe designate certain areas for buying, selling and consumption....all those drugs find their way inside our society despite the so-called heavy restrictions...

View user profile

11 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
Thats a good idea, my only concern is- the price should not be so much high that user will prefer other harder drugs than marijuana.

View user profile

12 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

eveningpolestar

Professional Debator
Professional Debator
I strongly oppose the idea of taxation in drugs! As we can see the crimes generated by the consimption of drugs are the real problem to our society not the consumption itself! Now the illegality has made drugs inaccessible and there by led to violence and crimes ...if we tax the drugs highly we again make them inaccessible and there by increase the crimes! So they sudn't be taxed too high!

"Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.” - Hubert Humphrey
View user profile http://surathgiri.blogspot.com

13 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Razor Blade

Advanced Debator
Advanced Debator
Let's not get more than marijuana over here. Planting should be legalized by separating special plots. Trading can only be done in very strict areas. Everyone older than specific age bars allowed. I think it would solve the problem. Taxation might depend on whether someone is domestic or international tourist.

View user profile

14 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:57 am

Saurav

Active Debator
Active Debator
making policy strong again means chance of illegal planting and trading, so policy should not be made such a way that again it promotes illegal things and government would loose it's revenue.

View user profile

15 Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in Nepal?? on Tue May 24, 2011 8:53 pm

kalakoyu

The thing Marijuana act as a major source of income in many of western parts of villages in Nepal. They work hard to cultivate it and have to trade in very very low price (as the villagers have to sell it in informal markets to brokers as it is illegal trade and we all know how much it cost). We often hear news people getting arrested due to Hasis but many times they are the villagers who wanted to trade their product in market but get caught as they do not know the different channels (from brokers to policemen) in operation.......

The process of cultivating Marijuana and earning small some of money in those villages is on and will continue (and should not be stopped....)

To add up Marijuana is not only about drug, it has multipurpose use. The villagers better has the idea. The whole plant body has its use from its flower-pulp, from stem-root, from leaf-seed. It is medicinal, it can be converted into fiber (how expensive is the cloth, we can see in Thamel). People in village they weave their clothes out of that plant, they use it has herb and many more usages......

It is also said that the developed countries proposed to ban this product to secure their market of cotton product .......

I totally disagree with this policy of banning Marijuana (how much drug usages have been minimized by banning it? n d funny thing is why is it free in Shivaratri?) This law is against those rural innocent villagers....

And of course there are other opportunities as mentioned by earlier commentators !!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum